SSL sites down 302 redirect

Forums News SSL sites down 302 redirect
Chema about a month ago - 2016-09-02 20:34:31

Today from 5pm to 8pm CEST approximate (we do not have actual hours that the issue was happening yet).

All sites with SSL where having an infinite 301 redirect, causing your site to be down.

We are really sorry this happened and we know exactly what went wrong and we have fixed it.

Cloudflare (our SSL and DNS provider) made a modification on parameters they send us to identify if your site is using SSL, we mistakenly were told that the site was without SSL and we forced a redirect to the HTTPs URL, this causing the 301 infinite loop.

I have personally contacted cloudflare since I could not find anything on their docs regarding this change.

Once again I am sorry this has happened, not sure what I could have done to prevent it :( I feel of course responsible for the issue but at the same time I feel powerless under this un notified changes.

If you have any other question I am happy to answer here.

Chema about a month ago - 2016-09-02 20:34:45
A bit more technical (you can skip reading this.)

We were using a header sent by cloudflare called "HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTO" and if was set to HTTPS we considered the request HTTPS.

You can see the code here of the function we used before.

But seems that since today or better since few hours ago they use "HTTP_CF_VISITOR"

You can see our new code here: